Local Historian Explores Life of Evansville's founder Sunday | Arts & Culture
On March 27, 1812, Hugh McGary, Jr. journeyed to the land office in Vincennes, Indiana, to purchase 220.42 acres of land that are today's downtown Evansville. McGary's family had previously lived in Henderson, Kentucky, and resided in Princeton, Indiana, at the time of his purchase. He hoped the land he now owned would attract settlers based on its strategic location on the horseshoe bend of the Ohio River. Evansville was originally known as McGary's Landing.
The work shown above is an artist's interpretation of Hugh McGary days in early Evansville. Traditionally, it is believed that McGary's first cabin in Evansville was located at what is today the corner of Riverside Drive and Main Street, the location of the Channel 44 building, though others believe it was situated nearer Pigeon Creek.
On Sunday, February 10 at 2:00 p.m. in the Old Gallery of the Evansville Museum, Harold Morgan will discuss his recent research on McGary’s life and share his findings regarding this interesting historical character. Of special interest will be Morgan’s findings regarding McGary’s time after he left Evansville — a subject of some mystery.
Over the years, there have been many stories concerning the life of McGary— some positive and some nefarious.
After retiring from consulting engineering in 2001, researching early area history and historical photos became a hobby for Harold Morgan.
Over the ensuing years, he has collected in excess of 40,000 historic area photos. He has written several genealogical books as well as the local history book Home Front Heroes: Evansville and the Tri-State during WWII; Home Town History, The Evansville, Indiana Area: A Photo Timeline; and Home Front Warriors: Building the P-47 Thunderbolt and the LST Warship in Evansville, Indiana during World War II.
Morgan is a graduate of the University of Evansville.